Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I hear the bells of St. Mary's

It's the height of June, so you know what that means... it's the start of wedding season! In fact, last weekend I had the pleasure of going to two weddings in one day! My boss at the camp where I am working had given me special permission to leave town early Friday evening to head out to College Station so that I could celebrate these marriages with my friends.




And what a beautiful weekend it was! When I arrived in College Station, there was a large group of old friends hanging out at the house where I was staying. It's hard to express the joy I felt seeing all of them together again and simply getting to spend a little while in their presence! God is so good to enable us to have little reunions like these to remind us of how He continually blesses us no matter what stage of our lives we happen to be in.

Saturday was a whirlwind of a day, going to one ceremony in the morning, its reception, and then to reception numero dos that evening. When it comes to weddings--other than the beauty of the actual ceremony and getting to witness the love between the husband and wife--the dancing at the reception is assuredly my favorite part! If you know me, you undoubtedly know that I was dancing to just about every song that played. All total I was likely dancing for about 6 hours on Saturday, and it was glorious! Plus it was just nice to be around people who like country music and know how to dance to it!

Although the dancing was the most fun part of the weekend, what impressed upon me the most about these weddings was really the love that you could tell the bride and groom shared for one another. Having known both couples for the majority of their relationships, it was beautiful to see how much their love had grown and how greatly they cared for their (now) spouses. It was such a witness to the hope that when we keep Christ at the center of our relationships, true love can blossom and flourish. As Father Chris said in his homily at Paul and Lauren's wedding, when we keep Christ--who is selfless love Himself--at the center of our relationships, He will help us to be His witness of love to our spouse and to the world.

I am excited to see the fruit that the Lord will bear through the marriages of these couples that He brought together Himself! Pray for all who are married, engaged, or discerning marriage! And to my dear friends, Lauren & Paul and Erin & Mike, rest assured of my prayers. May God bless your marriages abundantly and keep you always in His tender care.


An Irish Wedding Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall softly upon the fields.
May the light of friendship guide your paths together.
May the laughter of children grace the halls of your home.
May the joy of living for one antoher trip a smile from your lips,
A twinkle from your eye.
And when eternity beckons, at the end of a life heaped with love,
May the good Lord embrace you with the arms
That have nurtured you the whole length of your joy-filled days.
May the gracious God hold you both in the palm of His hands.
And today, may the Spirit of Love find a dwelling place in your hearts.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment